Requires a medical diagnosis
The range and severity of symptoms can vary widely. Common symptoms include difficulty with communication, difficulty with social interactions, obsessive interests and repetitive behaviours.
People may experience:
- Behavioural: inappropriate social interaction, poor eye contact, compulsive behaviour, impulsivity, repetitive movements, self-harm, or persistent repetition of words or actions
- Developmental: learning disability or speech delay in a child
- Cognitive: intense interest in a limited number of things or problem paying attention
- Psychological: unaware of others’ emotions or depression
- Also common: anxiety, change in voice, sensitivity to sound, or tic